Allergic reaction Anaphylaxis is caused due to exposure to an allergen. It is a very severe and critical condition that takes place very quickly after the exposure. It can be described more clearly like this that if a person is allergic to any allergen and if he is exposed to it then allergic symptoms develops very quickly and covering different organ systems of the body.
The organs which get affected are upper airway, gastrointestinal tract, cardiovascular system, lower airway, and skin. The speed at which the anaphylaxis symptoms develop depends on how it enters the body. Like if the person has eaten something then the time taken can be from few minutes to as long as two hours.
And if the thing has been acquired from outside through a sting or through an injection then it can take time from 5 minutes to half an hour. Though the anaphylaxis symptoms cannot be severe all the time, it can be mild also depending on the condition but if it is very serious then it can also cause death to a person. Usually the persons who are at a higher risk are:
- Persons who have earlier had allergic reactions
- Persons suffering from asthma
- Persons who have allergies of food
So it takes no time for a severe allergic reaction to cause death to a person. The two phases in which it occurs is the initial stage and the second is after 38 hours. All these organs which are affected by it display different symptoms. The six parts of the body which can have anaphylaxis are mouth, stomach & intestines, skin, lungs, heart and blood vessels and throat.
- Anaphylaxis symptoms that appear in the skin include itching, flushing, swelling and hives.
- Nasal congestion, itching of nasal, sneezing and a runny nose. Also there can be upper airway swelling in the larynx are the anaphylaxis symptoms that occur in the upper airway.
- There can be caused laryngeal edema along with breathing problem.
- The anaphylaxis symptoms displayed in the chest are wheezing, coughing and breadth shortness.
- The gastrointestinal symptoms displayed are diarrhea, nausea, vomiting and abdominal cramping.
- The Cardiovascular symptom displayed is major drop in blood pressure that can result in consciousness loss.
Generally these anaphylaxis symptoms are displayed alone or in a combination but many a times it is seen that various organs are included by anaphylaxis. It is important that the severe allergic symptoms should be found out quickly and a proper treatment should be provided to the patient immediately. So if the thing is not checked at a proper time then it can lead to serious consequences.
The ill effects are because of airway obstruction or if the blood vessels are collapsed. Therefore it becomes necessary that the symptoms of hives and swelling must be recognized earlier and treated. Apart from this there are anaphylaxis symptoms some of which have been mentioned earlier like:
- Problem in breathing or swallowing.
- Itching or feeling of metallic taste in the mouth.
- Stomach pain, vomiting, diarrhea or nausea
- Unexpected drop in person’s blood pressure